Translate

miércoles, 24 de septiembre de 2008

My quest for authentic MAC brushes

Hi!

I have decided to be a full time freelance Makeup Artist and I have found myself having to buy more "makeup essentials" to make this happen. I've been buying foundations, sponges, disposable mascara wands, etc. But my main concern is my most important tool: MY BRUSHES

For all of you makeup geeks out there, you know that it's hard to find a really good brush at a "really good price" and if you want to do this for a living, you better have the best. Well, I've been on a quest for over a week now, looking for the perfect MAC brush set. Obviously, buying all the brushes I need directly from the store is a major investment, over $500. And for me, that I'm barely establishing myself as a MUA, it's quite an investment.

So, I decided to go to Ebay, for all my needs. I love Ebay and I occasionally sell stuff there too, I have found some pretty good things at a great price. So why not take a look? Well, I found some MAC sets of 32 pc, 24pc, 8pc, etc. The 32 pc especially caught my eye, but I don't know... I started thinking...Why is it that the MAC store doesn't sell a set like this? I've seen a bunch of travel sets with some collections, but never a full size... So I started to investigate.

It turns out that MAC has only launched a full size set in Nov '06 and it was called the Pret-a-Porter brush set (In order to be authentic it has to include the 187 brush, just so you know). Haaa, so where are all these sets coming from? My guess, really well made fakes. High quality for a low price.

Now a days, copies are getting better and better. And unfortunately, I have been a victim. Some years ago, a bought a 10pc set and the first thing I checked was where was it made. It turned out to be in Japan, and I was so happy because MAC products usually are made in Canada, Japan, USA. But I recently found out, with some tips that I'm going to give you, that my brushes are not authentic. They do not have a completely black handle. boohooo. :( (but they're actually pretty good).

Anyways,
Here are some ways that you can spot the fakes, so it doesn't happen to you:
The brushes have to come in plastic sleeves with the UPC code, they don't have any special plastic protectors. The brush handles have to be black, the fakes have tiny grayish particles. Also, the numbers of the brush (i.e.MAC 182) are written with white and it brushes off easily, even with your nail. The fakes, have all the info on the brush engraved.

So, what am I going to do now? Definitely not a set. I have decided that even if it takes me a little bit longer, I'll buy them one by one at the store or thru ebay, but just making sure that they're authentic. I would rather invest in a brush that's going to last years and years, than in one that is going to fall appart soon.

Thanks for visiting and If you have any thoughts make sure to let me know... :)

Your Amiguita :)

Follow me on Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin